:: HAMMING IT UP (Merry Christmas!)

Alrighty my wee elves!

Christmas is upon us, and before I scive off on holidays laying out (in SPF30) on anonymous beaches with a fine assortment of my favourite people and their ridiculously yummy babies (Aunty Brooke is always good for a cuddle), I thought I’d share a wee bit of my Christmas trads with you… and you know me, of course it’s going to be food related.

As you know, our Southern Hemisphere Christmas is a summer one, which means an eclectic collection of food… We feast on gorgeous summer salads, roast veges w. balsamic (served hot or cold), and trad. dishes like a good hunk o’ ham. Desserts are whatever people bring – usually things like pavlova, eton mess, something chocolatey, something custardy and occasionally the odd Christmas Cake (though I can’t stand the stuff).

Today I’m sharing with you my favourite favourite favourite ham recipe. It is to. die. for. and so easy that it’s kind of unfair.

I made this at the first Christmas I ‘hosted’ as a married woman and it was a smash hit! It was definitely a big deal for me to leave my family Christmas in NZ (four generations, 30 people) and have my first Christmas with my new family in Australia, but this ham helped me start a tradition of my own. I can’t even remember where I got the recipe, it might have even been out of a supermarket catalogue pullout, but it is now handwritten in my recipe journal and a firm favourite. Enjoy hot at Christmas lunch, then cold over the following days in sandwiches, salads or on it’s own. I even eat the cooled, caramelized glaze with a spoon. So wrong yet so right.

Here it is!

FIG GLAZED HAM

Prep time 20 minutes/Cooking time 40 minutes/Serves 6 (at least)

3-4kg half leg ham (7-9 lbs)
½ cup maple syrup
1 cup fig jam
1 cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped (I add more)

1. Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F)
Remove rind from ham by easing it off gently with your fingers. Use the tip of a sharp knife to score the layers of fat at 2cm (0.8 inch) intervals.

2. Put syrup and jam in a pan over a medium heat and stir until jam has dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in nuts. Put ham in a deep baking dish, spread syrup miture over the top and bake for 40 minutes until golden. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.

Not the most amazing presentation last year, I’ll admit that, but we were eating on a porch on the sand in a rented house, so an al foil tin from the local grocery store was the best we could do! Still tasted redunkulous.

Also, if you love the ham so much you feel like you need to thank me, please consider doing it in the form of donations to my charitywater campaign.

We’re so close to our $50,000 goal and ten thousand miles (or dollars) away at the same time. Please consider those who don’t have clean water this Christmas! www.mycharitywater.org/brookefraser

Whatever you do, have a safe and merry one. Much Christmas love, Brooke xx

This entry was posted in :: RANDOM. Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to :: HAMMING IT UP (Merry Christmas!)

1. Mason :D says:

..that looks way better than my mothers. 😛

2. Katiti says:

Bravo Brooke!

3. Talitha says:

I’ll definatly try this one! Thanks Brooke!
    Also a Merry Christmas to you and Scott :)

4. brandi says:

Thanks Brooke! I will be making this for our Christmas dinner here in Cali…Wish you were here! =)

5. kacie says:

planning on donating again soon! PS – that looks absolutely di-VINE. maybe there’s hope for me being a decent cook after all. . .

6. Te Rina Thompson says:

That sounds amazing and has gotten me extremely excited for christmas….! and On new years Im off to New Delhi, India!

Thanks for the recipe Brooke!

Te Rina ox

7. Kate Turner says:

looks fantastic, foil dish and all, Brooke! I’m going to try it – my husband loves figs so I know he’s going to be a fan. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones (and I did donate earlier to the clean water charity – – great one). Have a good time together. Will you manage to get to Parachute, by the way?!!

8. Cecilia says:

Although I would have joined you in eating the glaze with a spoon ANYDAY, reading it TODAY made me completely nauseous :( haha! Probrobably my being pregnant is to blame… But NEXT Christmas, I’m definitely up for it!! :) The recipe seems yummy though! Will save it among my recipies for sure: “Brooke’s Fig Glazed Ham” :)

9. Alicia says:

mmmm sounds wonderful!! I will be trying this one for sure!!

10. Katia says:

i totally love it and i will put in my book of favoured recipes :)

11. Kat Millar says:

Yum yum! Love your blog, reminds me of home. My 2nd and last Christmas in London before I return to kiwi land and anything ‘kiwi-ish’ seems so much more special when you’re not in NZ!? Loving the white christmas season!! But got teary looking at my nephews beachy photos today haha… Will try your ham recipe!

12. Francina says:

Thanks Brooke, enjoy with your family too!!!

13. Carol Pontes says:

So are you a master cook? I didn’t know about it! It looks delicious, congratulations! Hey, Brazil are waiting for you and Flags tour, please come. Merry Christmas! x x

14. Sabrina ♥ says:

This is absolutely fantastic !
    Hehhhe and looks deliciously yummy 😀 !
    Great job Brooke i think im going to tell my mother to cook
    that on Christmas ! ♥
    Love you awesome singer !!!

-Big Fan
    Sabrina :)

15. Sandra Mastorakos says:

looks gr8! we’re doing roast lamb & mom’s mixed prawn rice..marinating & prepping on Thursday to cook Friday nyt..yum, :”I’m” (hehehe) making traditional cranberry crumble..with a brandy twist in it..hmmm.. but gettin the ice cream & choc sauce out just in case..can never go wrong with ice cream & choc sauce ryt!?/ but just in case I kno there’ll be loads of summer fruits for picking on all the way into 2011!! ..spritzing it up with a bottle of Boschendal Blanc de Noir.. Have fun & enjoy all the blessings comin your way..thanks for contributing so much towards my faith & for being part of the awesome bigger picture:)

16. Vanille says:

Merry Christmas to you Brooke ! You are so gifted…

17. yoanna says:

im not a ham fan..but lemme see!

“..eat and drink for tomorrow we diiiiieee..”

hahahaha:)

18. Johnata Montan says:

Hi Brooke. It seems to be amazing!!! I’m from Brazil and I like your music a lot. My favorite music is Hosea’s Wife. About food, my favorite food is rice and beans. It’s very common here in Brazil. I like french fries and of course a little of snacks too!!

When are you going to come here in Brazil? We are waiting for you here!
    Bye!

19. ayla says:

thats looks / soundz yummy brooke.. i think, i have to try that.. merry christmas brooke!!! muaawh

20. Kate Turner says:

Hey Brooke – is this recipe using an already cooked ham? It seems like a short time to bake a ham from the start? Need to know before I go and buy my half-leg of ham so hope you read this soon (and reply sooner!!!)

21. Sabrina ♥ says:

Hello Brooke,I ordered your deluxe package & hoodie & I’m from the United States when do you think i will receive it?,Oh & i orderded it on December 15. Im just very curious , hehhe i want it so bad lol . :)
    Please reply to my email Brooke its important !
    Thanks :)
    lilmonkeys187@aol.com

-Big Fan,
    Sabrina♥

22. VitO says:

…it looks awwwwwsum!!! jeje
    happy holidays!!
    greetings from Bolivia

23. Miriam says:

Merry Christmas Brooke : ) !

24. Mikey says:

Merry Christmas Brooke, to you and yours!

25. Christine says:

Brooke!
    Im a 21 year old uni student so my cooking skills are pretty limited at the moment, so I decided to try your Fig Ham recipe and OH MY WORD! It was such a success!!! I cant even begin to tell you how much everyone loved my ham, lets just say it was gone in pretty much half an hour. 😀
    I think itll become a specialty dish of mine now so MASSIVE thanks for the recipe! It definitely made my Christmas lunch :)
    Brooke, you are lifesaver.
    Merry Christmas

Chris

P.S – When I went to te supermarket to get the ingredients I forgot which nuts to get so I bought walnuts instead macadamias. Best mistake ever. It was ssooooo good.

26. Anita says:

Got your Flags album for Christmas. It is our first one and we(myself and 4 daughters) all love it.
    Great recipe! Be Blessed, Anita

27. nj says:

hey brooke, after so many web searches, i didnt expect to find the perfect ham recipe here in your blog.. too late for Christmas, but i’ll try your recipe on new year dinner..
    thanks! happy holidays!

28. Emerald Hammond says:

My beloved Brooke,

I’m certain that you won’t post this, but I just wanted to apologize for the Sam Bradley come that I made on twitter. http://twitter.com/#!/drummagrl I’m not sorry that I said it, I’m sorry that it offended you. But it should also be said that many people were offended the night of the Austin concert on Nov. 10th. I was with a group of friends and they were shocked that Sam was representing you. I am like a resilient child, and I will always love you but truth must be told. Don’t let your light go out.

29. Nadia Marychurch says:

Looks yummy!!!
    Totally love the blog page. Very cool indeed!

30. Sarah says:

Ohhhhhhh mmmmyy ggoossshhh Brooke! Looks 2 good 2 be true!!!
    I will sooooo be trying this one. Give us some of your recipes!!!!
    I want some NZ food!!!!

31. Sonja says:

Random question:
    If possible, could you please put the lyrics of the Flags album on your website? I bought the digital album and therefore don’t have the lyrics. Tried google, but got different lyrics for the same song – don’t know which is the correct lyrics.

Thanks

32. Natalia says:

Thanks you i believe in a Love that can wait till the perfect moment.

33. Sounds Delish! I copied it down and stashed it in our recipe box. Thanks!

34. Kristen says:

So, I know this is not really about this last article (especially since I don’t think I can cook though I greatly appreciate the recipe for those who can 😀 ). BUT I was looking for songwriting tips from you and found your blog tips.

I loved the tips, and I was wondering if you’re still planning on doing Part 3 Mystery. I know you’re uber busy, but I’d love to keep learning!

Thanks for all the great music!

35. Naomi says:

Hi Brooke , this is actually a question, and I wasn’t sure where to leave this, but this was your last blog post, i think….. (: So what does your orphans kingdoms song mean? I love it, but I dont quite get it! Thank you

36. livia moura says:

brooke I’d like to tell you I loved the recipe I would try to do here at home just could not make it I’m only 12 years say that my mother does not like to do these things because she works out and when it is already tired one day hey brooke I go to your show one day I’ll see you personally am a fan of his:
    LIVIA

37. Breanna says:

Brooke-
    I was wondering if you could blog more:)
    Maybe let us in on a few of your favorite things (books, movies, etc.)
    ..I found some of your book recommendations on another website and have loved them…..maybe you should start a book club;)

38. Tulio says:

Hi team B,

I bought the Deluxe Package (super cool) and, of course, I received the vinyl with all that incredible music. What I expected see in the book was the lyrics of “May Waltz” and “Sparks”.
    So, If you are not intented to put the lyrics in the website (like the previous one) you could, pleaaaase send the lyrics to my e-mail?

I feel that this musics have an amazing message, but I just don’t get it.

thanks

P.S.: I read Grapes of Wrath. Thanks for the indication. 😀

39. Francina says:

I really hope on this Something in the water tour 2011 on the USA, we could meet Brooke after the concert and she could do some pics and signing. That will be really nice :)

40. Cleiton says:

Brooke, we’re waiting you in Brazil :)

41. Oh that looks SIMPLY delicious – fig jam / maple syrup / easy to pick from my part of the country. BTW, I feel VERY guilty – before today – I did not know you exsisted on this Big Blue Marble. My NZ mates Andy Nolan and of course, the uber famous Andy Gibson – posted your Sailboats song on my FB page. I am a sailor and it fits me . Hope to catch you either in Montreal and/or Boston (they’re only a few miles apart -haa! haa!). Happy travels within the US of A!!!

42. jho says:

are there any new pictures of yours ??????? please show us brooke ??? please ?

43. Isabel says:

Come to Brazil, please!!

44. Pinkadele says:

Hello Brooke,

I’m going to see you in Cadogan Hall next week I just wanted to say I am really really looking for it. Your music makes me feel so happy and alive and you’ve been a real inspiration for me. The first song I heard of yours was “Who are we fooling” feat. Aqualung and it is still my absolute favourite with “Arithmatic” (I need to find someone to sing it with still though). All the best for Wednesday! It’s going to be great!

Adele x

45. Nikki says:

Great recipe! We had it for Easter!

46. oh wow Brooke! you’re even cooler than I thought! I didn’t know that was possible 😛 you can cook really well too! this looks delicious. God bless ya sista